The Golden Carrot Newsletter's Archive



August 30, 2004



* Visit of Zemanek girls, Alexandra and Samantha

* Status of Rescues, and Residents

* Recent trail ride



Normally I try to let you know what’s happening before dropping to my knees on behalf of these horses. But donations have been minuscule this summer, and we’ve lost sponsors for four horses.


I very much wish to purchase one last large hay load before the winter comes, to take advantage of its availability, better quality and lower prices, as well as to get it transported and stored before the winter weather might ruin it. I will need $800 to purchase alfalfa, and $475 to purchase grass hay. Added to what I already have on property, that should get me through to February of 2005 for hay. Of course, I spend another $960 per month (approximately) on bagged feed that keeps these older horses going, but that is easier to obtain and transport. But you can see donations are needed, every month, month after month!


In addition, the horse trailer of the Golden Carrot desperately needs new tires. The cost for these should be about $250.00 (per our maintenance man, Mike Roth). Recently, the Golden Carrot trailer transported our neighbor and patron Mary Tuttle and her little friend, 14 year old Kelli, and their two horses, to the local Church Cowboy Day - and back. It was a short drive, only about 15 miles round trip, so I was willing, but those tires are worn and weather checked, and frankly, it simply wouldn’t be safe to transport a horse or two for very far on these twisty mountain roads.


Of course, our usual expenses for new fly masks, lumber, incidentals such as salt, carrots, bran, and so forth, continue, so any donation, no matter how much or how often, is GREATLY appreciated.




As I’ve reported before, Cuervo is no longer sponsored, and since that time, I’ve lost the sponsors for Prophet and Sara, and possibly Mary as well. Although the web site continues to indicate that each of these horses are sponsored, they are not, and my inquiries have mostly been ignored. A sponsor doesn’t get much for their monthly, or other regular donation, except the knowledge that they are helping someone who needs that help very much. So there is no contractual obligation - and who knows what problems these sponsors have encountered in their lives to cause them to default in this regard. No blame attaches to them but the horses are still here, and still needy - so if you’d like to sponsor one, please let me know. I’ll tell you what would help - you tell me what you can do - and we’ll go from there.




We’ve not had the huge influx of visitors we had last year off of the Press-Enterprise article - although this summer wasn’t as hot as last, I suspect that scared a few people off. We did have the huge pleasure of a visit from two lovely little girls from San Francisco, with their grandma Diane Mitchell - Samantha and Alexandra Zemanek. These are very little girls, ages 6 and 8, and completely without experience. But in their enthusiasm, they cleaned a stall apiece, and groomed Mitey Nice until she glowed, rode her, one after another, and then gave her a bath. They were so lovely - Alexandra obviously horse-mad and fearless; Samantha more timid but absolutely trusting me and Mitey Nice to take care of her, and having fun with it. When they were done, they offered me crumpled bills - a portion of their allowance - to "pay for carrots" for Mitey Nice. Later, they wrote me sweet thank you notes, including Samantha’s drawing of Mitey Nice. I am trying to learn how to update the website and hope to have photos of them, and even their thank you notes, posted in the next month.




The rescues of February are doing very well. As their bodies have filled out and coats become glossy, their personalities have perked up and gelled - and in the case of Luc and Jack, it’s clear why they were dumped on a "rescue". Luc’s left knee is his problem - he has days when it seems fine, and others where he can hardly walk. Laurie Henkel tried to adjust it, and he allows that, but it doesn’t last. Otherwise, he’s amazingly beautiful and full of spirit and personality. He calls to me for each feed, and to be let out each morning; and one memorable morning while Cuervo was thundering up and down the stall line as the horses left for the morning, Luc hopped up and down in his stall demanding to be let out so he could thunder up and down also, despite his bad knee. I don’t think anyone will ever be able to ride Luc, so he has ended up in the right place to live out his days. Jack seems to have a real problem with his left stifle, as well as snap-crackle-pop joints all over. Its hard to make him move, so his hind legs fill with fluid regularly. He walks solidly, and lives for food - and he and Luc are inseparable. He also has finally found his lucky place, where I can try to make up for the difficulties he has encountered up to now. Belle and Beau are doing very well - Beau’s leg is slowly improving with the excellent farrier work of John Meza; and Belle, having convinced me that she needs an extra bucket of senior each night, is finally filling out much better. When I’m happy with her weight, she will be the first that I attempt to ride - as she walks soundly and seems fine - my guess is she’s a sensitive and flighty mare who was not an easy ride, and when she became to old to work hard enough to calm her down, she was ‘retired’.


My other equine residents are also doing well. They love the new open area, full of bushes and ‘trees’ that they can scratch on and low grasses to munch on, as well as the soft soil of the wash to roll in. Unfortunately, they’ve also incurred a few injuries back there - running THROUGH bushes instead of around them, and I think the soft going of the wash is probably where Inch has bowed her left tendon. So with bandaging, and medications, I’ve been busy fixing these "owies" and trying to clear more of the area to make pathways they will hopefully use. Jet also went down again on August 21, but with Mike’s help rolling him to his "good side", he got up real quick on his own. His appetite has been excellent recently, and my hopes for his continued health are high. Finally, Malika had a day or two of being completely off her feed, and showing signs of colic. On the first day, I gave her the ginger/baking soda concoction to help with the gas, as well as an injection of banamine to relieve pain. She stayed on her feet after that, and Mike and I performed belly lifts in an effort to dislodge any possible obstruction. The second day, she seemed more normal, but still didn’t want to eat and I had a weird idea. Malika has always liked Mike, and I told him to go out there and "give her some attention". He rubbed her ears, which she clearly loved, and her belly, and by the time he was done, she was sighing with relief and contentment - wow, what a guy! She walked back in her house, and when I offered her some food with the final feed, she showed a little interest for the first time. She’s still not eating as much as I’d like to see, but she seems to be returning to normal. I guess I’ll have to consider "Mikey-therapy" in the future for these cranky mares.....


I’m sorry it took me so long to get a newsletter out - and I hope I’ll have news to report in October. Please don’t forget us - I’m the only spokesperson for these 27 quietly enduring horses and sometimes I’m scrambling so hard to stay afloat, I forget my ‘life preservers’ out there -


I don’t know if I’ve ever said it, but if anyone would like to get reports about any particular horse at the Golden Carrot, or if you can receive photographs, or would just like to drop me a line, I’d love to hear from each and every one of you. You’ll probably think me really odd, but when someone inquires about a particular horse, I tell that horse of the interest expressed, and tell them they are not forgotten - I swear they look at me with real interest. Of course, maybe they’re just wondering why I’m babbling at them when they want to eat .......

Thanks for your thoughts, donations, help, and word-of-mouth advertising - we appreciate it all!